Discover the World of Yoga Mats and Yoga Tips: Understanding Yoga Mat Materials, Posture Techniques, and More
Are you puzzled by terms like eco-friendly materials, alignment, or asanas? Whether you’re a yoga beginner or looking to deepen your practice, our guide will enlighten you on the most essential yoga terms. Prepare to impress your fellow yogis at your next class, or enhance your understanding as you explore our yoga tutorials and tips!
These terms are crucial for every yoga enthusiast. But fear not; this is not just any ordinary yoga glossary! Each term is explained with simple definitions and exciting or useful insights. Let’s embark on this journey to expand your yoga vocabulary and practice!
- Types of Yoga Mats: Differentiating various yoga mat styles and materials.
- Yoga Practices: Terms related to different yoga styles and practices.
- Mat Care & Maintenance: Words related to the upkeep of yoga mats.
- Yoga Accessories: Items often used in conjunction with yoga mats.
Types of Yoga Mats
- PVC Mat: A popular, affordable, and durable yoga mat made from Polyvinyl Chloride. Suitable for beginners but less eco-friendly.
- TPE Mat: Made from Thermoplastic Elastomer, a more eco-friendly alternative to PVC, offering good grip and comfort.
- Jute Mat: A natural, biodegradable mat known for its rough texture and durability. It is ideal for those seeking an eco-friendly option.
- Hatha Yoga: A branch of yoga emphasizing basic postures and breathing techniques.
- Vinyasa Yoga is a dynamic style of yoga where poses flow from one to another.
Mat Care & Maintenance
- What is Creasing? Creasing refers to forming folds or lines in a material, often due to bending, folding, or compressing. In the context of yoga mats, creasing can occur when the mat is stored improperly,
- Closed Cell: A closed-cell yoga mat is designed with a non-porous material, so its cells are not open. This structure prevents moisture and sweat from seeping into the mat, making it an excellent choice for maintaining hygiene.
- Open Cell: An open-cell yoga mat is characterized by its porous material, where the cells in the mat are open. This design allows the mat to absorb moisture and sweat.
- Shedding Mat refers to the process where small particles or bits of the mat material start to come off, often due to wear and tear.
- sea salt
- Aerial Hammock is a robust, flexible fabric suspended from the ceiling or rigging point. It acts as a swing or soft trapeze, enabling practitioners to perform a variety of poses and movements, including inversions, stretches, and acrobatic maneuvers.
- Yoga Trapeze is a type of suspension equipment used in yoga practice. It consists of a hammock-like swing with multiple handles and straps that hang from a secure point, such as a beam or a stand.
- Yoga Straps yoga accessories enhance flexibility, alignment, and posture in various yoga poses. They are typically made of durable cotton or nylon and come with a buckle or loop at the end, allowing them to be easily adjusted and secured.
- Microfiber Yoga Towels are designed to enhance the yoga practice, particularly in styles that involve a lot of sweat, like hot yoga or more vigorous vinyasa flows.